I have never used Shiitake Mushrooms for anything other than making Bacon but after reading about the health benefits I’m going to find other ways to add them into my diet. They are a good source of iron and B vitamins as well as being an immunity booster. Something I didn’t read about though was how they are like asparagus if you know what I mean.
This is one of my favorite ways to make bacon. It’s amazing how these mushrooms can cook up to that bacon flavor and texture. A little chewy, a little crunchy and a lot of yummy! What’s your bacon of choice? Tempeh, Coconut, Seitan or Tofu? Do you have a favorite that I haven’t named?
- 7 oz. of Shiitake Mushrooms, I use two packages from Trader Joe’s
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Tamari
- 1 TBSP Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wipe clean the mushrooms with a paper towel.
- Slice mushrooms into thin pieces, set aside.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add mushrooms to the marinade and toss with your hands until completely coated and liquid is absorbed.
- Spread mushrooms on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Set your timer in 15 minute increments and stir every 15 minutes.
- Keep a close eye on them during the last 15 minutes to make sure they don’t burn.
- Let cool, and enjoy!
You can serve these along side breakfast, top on a salad, pile on a sandwich or just eat them by themselves as a tasty snack!