We may be nearing the end of the official VeganMofo but for me every day is VeganMofo! I hope you enjoyed all the recipes I’ve posted so far. I have something special planned for the finale but until then there is this: Cilantro Pepita Pesto Vinaigrette, that’s a mouthful isn’t it?
This recipe was inspired by a salad I use to get before I was vegan.
Cilantro Pepita Pesto Vinaigrette on a Garden Chop Salad. © The Queen V Kitchen 2013
Cilantro Pepita Pesto Vinaigrette
- 1 cup Cilantro
- 1/3 cup Pepitas
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. Vegan Parmesan
- 1 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 TBSP Water
- Place everything except oil and water into your food processor.
- Blend on high and scrape down sides for about a minute.
- Turn to low-speed and slowly drizzle in the oil.
- Scrape down sides and add water and blend until you reach a thick dressing type consistency. You can add more water if needed, a little at a time.
- That’s it!
- Enjoy on your favorite salad, over steamed veggies or use as a dip.
My favorite Salad is a Garden Chop. Simple to prepare and it looks so pretty on a plate. Just take between a 1/4 -1/2 cup of your favorite veggies and arrange in a row, you can even put a bed of greens down first. In the picture above I used Heirloom Tomatoes, Pearl CousCous, Black Olives, Chickpeas, Hearts of Palm and Artichoke Hearts. You can use whatever you have on hand, dried fruit and seeds are a great addition too.
VeganMofo Day 6. While some of you are curling up with a hot cup of tea or hot cocoa and watching the leaves change as fall rolls in over in my neck of the woods we are still sweltering in 90+ degrees weather. I can’t wait to make soups, casseroles and chilis but for now I’m keeping my cool with this summery quinoa crunch salad.
Chickpea Quinoa Crunch © The Queen V Kitchen 2013
Chickpea Quinoa Crunch Salad
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic Red Quinoa, prepared as directed on package
- 1 15oz. can Simple Truth Organic Chickpeas
- 1 cup Organic Red Cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup Organic Cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 Organic Cilantro, chopped
- 3 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 2 TBSP Simple Truth Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Avocado, for garnishing
- Prepare the quinoa and allow to cool to room temp.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Whisk together the Lemon juice, Oil, Cumin and Salt and set aside.
- Toss together remaining ingredients, except avocado, in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing on to the salad and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Serve well chilled with avocado slices and a lemon wedge.
© The Queen V Kitchen 2013
This salad will soak up the dressing once it’s chilled, but you can add more if you like or leave as is and allow the fresh taste of your ingredients to shine.