I’m slowing my roll with VeganMofo so I won’t be posting every day but on this 16th day I’d like to share with you my Pepita Cheese Sauce Recipe.
When I first became Vegan I would make cheese sauce using my old method of making a roux, adding in lots of Almond Milk, bags of Daiya and Blocks of Follow your Heart Cheese. It was a daunting and expensive task, not to mention probably not the healthiest. Then a friend shared a simple recipe with me. I couldn’t believe based on the ingredients that it would taste anything like cheese, but it did and I’ve used it ever since!
I’ve made some changes to it to suit my taste. I’m sure this would work with any nut or seed you have on hand but the Pepitas give it a nice earthy undertone that I like and despite their green color I’m still able to achieve that orangey cheese hue. You can use this sauce on everything from Nachos to Baked Potatoes and as a base for Cheesy Broccoli soup or my personal favorite, just eating it with a spoon. If your feeling particularly nostalgic you can add some pickled Jalapeno Juice to the sauce and it will become strangely reminiscent of movie theater nacho cheese.
Pepita Cheese Sauce
- Almost a 1/2 cup of Raw Pepitas
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup roasted Red Peppers
- 3 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 2 TBSP Cornstarch
- 1+ TBSP Lemon Juice depending on taste
- 1 tsp. Tumeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 heaping tsp. Onion Powder
- Place everything into your high-speed blender.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour mixture into a sauce pot.
- Whisking constantly, heat over medium flame until thickened.
- Pour it on to Nachos, Vegetables, Baked Potatoes or just eat it with a spoon.