Just about half way through VeganMofo and I’ve seen lots of great stuff! Today I’m sharing one of our household favorites, this Southwest Barbecue Bean Loaf. I seem to always have the ingredients handy, it’s quick to throw together and makes great leftovers too! I like to eat mine with avocado slices and ranch dressing. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Southwest BBQ Bean Loaf
- 1 15oz. can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz. can of Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4oz. can of diced Green Chiles
- 1/2 cup of Corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce, I like Trader Joe’s Kansas City Style Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray an 8 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Add the beans to a large bowl and roughly mash with a fork until they can stick together but there are still some whole beans left.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except barbecue sauce.
- Press the bean mixture into the loaf pan with the back of a fork or a measuring cup, you want this tightly packed.
- Spread the barbecue sauce on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with Avocado Slices and Ranch Dressing.
I’d like to give a special thanks to my cousin Donna who shared the original recipe with me. XO.
Source: Adapted and Veganized from SkinnyMs.