Rolling into week 2 of VeganMofo and do you know what time it is? Breakfast time! And do you know what I’m having for breakfast? Cookies of course!! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Cookies for Breakfast, that’s my motto! And these cookies are by far the best chocolate chip cookies I have had since I became vegan 3 and half years ago.
Pre-Vegan I had a go to recipe for chocolate chip cookies, they were just amazing, chewy, gooey little handfuls of joy. Once I became Vegan I pretty much discarded that recipe and never gave it a second thought. Until, the other day actually. I thought I could finally veganize my favorite cookies now that this wonderful product called The Vegg is available. And what better time to try it than during VeganMofo. The results were spectacular and far better than I ever remember. So without further ado I present to you my Glorious Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Glorious Chocolate Chip Cookies, makes 20-24 cookies
- 1 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread, not the sticks
- 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Applesauce
- 1/8 cup The Vegg Yolk, prepared
- 2 TBSP Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips
*Chill dough for about an hour. Overnight is best if you can wait, trust me it’s worth it.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the Vegg Yolk as directed on package to make an 1/8 cup of yolk, set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda, set aside.
- Melt butter.
- Add sugars and melted butter to your kitchen aid mixing bowl and, with mixing paddle, cream on medium speed for a few minutes.
- Add applesauce, vanilla, almond milk and yolk to mixing bowl and continue to on medium speed until well blended.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Sir in chocolate chips.
- Chill dough for about an hour. Overnight is best if you can wait, trust me it’s worth it.
- Using a large cookie scoop place dough on to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes just until nicely browned.
- Try not to eat them all at once.
Source: Adapted and Veganized from Alton Brown