Today is the end of the first week of VeganMofo. My goal was to post something for you everyday and so far I’ve accomplished that, now I just have to keep it up for 3 more weeks!
I’d like to share with you a dish I’ve recreated that I had at a restaurant about 7 years ago, long before I was vegan and so long ago that I don’t even remember the name of the restaurant! They called it a garnish, I call it Tortilla Slaw. Aside from the cabbage it’s nothing like traditional coleslaw. It’s refreshing and crisp, no heavy dressing and with only a few simple ingredients like cabbage, cilantro and pumpkin seeds, this slaw is serving up triple dose of antioxidants.
Let’s talk about cabbage for a minute though. Did you know that cabbage is actually richer in Vitamin C than oranges, is high in fiber, and as a cruciferous vegetable it’s full of powerful antioxidants and a number of anti-cancer compounds!
You can learn more about the health benefits of cabbage HERE and if that isn’t reason enough to eat your cabbage maybe my recipe will convince you.
Tortilla Slaw, serves 1-4
- 1 cup of Green Cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/4 cup Pepitas, toasted
- 1/2 cup crispy Tortilla Strips*
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
*You can find prepared Crispy Tortilla Strips for salad topping in the produce section of your local grocery store or you can make your own. I used store bought.
- Use a Mandolin to finely shred the cabbage, you want it very thin, but not so thin that it doesn’t maintain its crunch.
- Toast the Pepitas in a dry pan on medium heat just until they start puffing up and begin to pop. Let cool.
- In a large bowl toss together the cabbages, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the tortilla strips just before serving.
I usually make this amount to serve myself, so you may want to double or triple the recipe if you are serving a large crowd.