It doesn’t get any easier than beans and rice. Oh wait, yes it does, because they are going to cook together in one pot!
This is one of my favorite dishes to prepare, it’s so simple yet so satisfying. It’s good for lunch or dinner, heck, they’re even good cold if you’re into that kind of thing.
You’ll notice that I use Kombu in this recipe. Kombu is a member of the kelp family and is used in a variety of dishes to add that umami flavor as well as nutrients and minerals. I find it particularly useful when I make beans as the amino acids in kombu help to make beans more digestible and less likely to cause gas. By the time the beans and rice are done cooking the kombu will have broken down and be dissolved right into the beans, you wont taste it at all, but you may remove any pieces left if you like.
Beans & Rice and Everything Nice
- 2 cups of Pinto Beans
- 1 2 inch piece of Kombu
- 1 cup Short Grain Brown Rice
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 2 TBSP Cumin
- 8 cups of water
- 3 tsp. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt (reserved)
- Rinse beans, add to pot and cover with water, also add the kombu and soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans and kombu, then return to pot.
- Add 8 cups fresh water and the remaining ingredients except salt.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 1 hour covered.
- Cook for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in Salt.
- Turn off heat and let rest for 30 minutes to thicken.
Enjoy as is or wrap in warm tortilla with avocado slices, a few dashes of nutritional yeast and some black pepper.