I Love Waffles, especially light and crispy waffles that don’t leave you with that heavy feeling after eating them. I’m also a waffle purist, I just like them with butter and syrup. I use Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread and Organic Grade B Maple Syrup.
Why Grade B you ask? Since it’s made later in the season, it’s the darkest of all maple syrups and has the highest nutritional value. Not only that, but the flavor is so rich and multidimensional that you may detect caramel undertones. Grade B is my personal favorite so much so that I could literally drink the stuff. If you love a strong maple flavor you might want to consider trying it next time you buy some syrup.
This recipe is perfect for two people if all you’re going to eat is waffles. If you’re serving other food, this recipe will feed four.
For these waffles I use my trusty Toastmaster Belgian Waffle Baker. You can use whatever brand of Belgian Waffle maker you have.
Belgian Waffles, makes 4
- 1 cup Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 cup Organic Almond Milk, Lukewarm**
- 1/3 cup Organic Applesauce
- 1 TBSP. Organic Coconut Oil**
** Whenever you are using coconut oil in a recipe make sure the liquids you add it to are lukewarm otherwise it will solidify.
- Preheat your waffle iron, mine has a green light to tell me when its ready and doesn’t need to be greased. The waffles pop right out.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Pour a heaping 1/2 cup of batter into the waffle iron and wait for the green light again to tell you when they are ready.
- Alternatively, just follow the directions on your own waffle iron.
- Top with Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread and warm Real Organic Grade B Maple Syrup.