If you’re anything like me, cookies are a must! I just love cookies, especially for breakfast. Although it wasn’t breakfast at the time, I had a craving for cookies. So I took a look to see what ingredients I had on hand and I came up with these Almond Joy Macaroons.
These are quick and easy to make and they are also Gluten Free. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Almond Joy Macaroons
For the Cookies
- 1 cup Almond Meal
- 3/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil, softened or melted
- 1/3 cup Apple Sauce, room temperature (I use one of the personal cup sizes, it’s the perfect amount)
- 1 tsp. pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Finely Shredded Coconut
For the Chocolate Coating
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil, Melted
- 1/2 cup Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 TBSP. + 2 tsp. Pure Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small bowl mix, sugar, oil, applesauce and syrup until thoroughly combined.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add wet to dry and mix well, fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls, or use a small cookie scoop, on to a parchment line baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place in freezer to cool completely, but not freeze, before dipping in chocolate.
- Once completely cooled, take cookies from freezer, put a toothpick in the bottom and dip in chocolate.
- Return to a parchment lined storage container and store in the refrigerator.
While the cookies are baking you can prepare your chocolate coating.
- Whisk melted coconut oil, cacao powder and maple syrup together in a small bowl or mug until smooth.
These cookies are just as delicious even if you don’t dip them in chocolate, I like to do half and half. They will keep for up to a week in the fridge, if they last that long.